Saturday, October 25, 2008

YES! I am still voting YES ON MEASURE OO

If you checked out my last post on Measure OO, I got a reply and didn't notice it until now. So I figure I should expand on my stance of Measure OO and reply specifically to dooblgirl's comments that perpetuate some myths about OFCY funding an the Measure. (I hope you read this.)

1. First off, OFCY's after school programs in Oakland aren't always run by 20-something year olds. The ones that I site and know work are run by older folks (although I think age doesn't matter). They just LOOK young, which makes other people immediately biased and ageist. And, although some staff actually have 20-somethings running some of the programming, these are often the people that can connect with youth in a meaningful way and have the energy to keep up with them. They are key to successful youth programs. (Sure, not all programs are ideal, but OFCY has a review process and, if done correctly, can improve programs. And, schools, teachers, students and parents have a responsibility to give feedback to these programs if they are not working.)

2. Yes, there will be cuts and City Council will be responsible for making these cuts. We can't assume what they will be specifically so these signs that you see out there about Voting NO on Measure OO to stop cuts to Parks and Recreation and the Library are misleading. I think the City Council needs to do even some more housecleaning and figure out creative ways of making cuts and leverging more money. And as a sidenote: The Bookmobile and adult literacy programs still have funding even after last week's budget cuts.

What it comes down to is that I believe an investment in youth now at 2.5% of the budget, can, in the longterm, reduce expenses in other areas of the city. For once, can we vote for a larger vision for the city?? We need to invest in programs for teenagers and young twenty-somethings that are facing the worst of the violence in Oakland...And, with the state of OUSD we need programs to help all children and youth. Can we be proactive in creating opportunities for young people?

As an Oakland mama, I have to urge folks to vote Yes on Measure OO. I want the best for youth in Oakland. I hope to live in a city that makes youth a priority.

No comments: