Sunday, September 14, 2008

Colorful Families


Being one of the first of my friends and my cousins to have a baby has been such a struggle. I've been searching for community and friends with babies who have like interests and politics to connect to on some new level. The ColorfulMamas, listserv/mama's group, has been great. We finally had a Colorful Families BBQ today.

It was a beautiful day with lots of babies, mamas and partners. It was inspiring to talk to mamas who feel like normal 3 months post-partum (it took me way longer to feel normal), who have jumped back to work and are loving it, who are in school getting their JD and hoping to get pregnant again pretty soon, who have made a conscious choice to stay home and take care of their babe as long as possible, etc. They are teachers, writers, administrators, pediatricians, non-profit professionals, organizers. These are women of color, grounded in community and family with an analysis of race, class, gender, etc., who I have a lot to learn from.

It's also nice that Soluna is around a lot of other hapa kids. Everyone seems to be a mix of ethnicities: Mexican/Vietnamese, Mexican/Puerto Rican/African, Corean/French-Algerian, Chinese/Filipino...

Soluna spent the time hanging with her pre-walking homies, Jair and Chencho. She is also very interested in dirt. I was impressed by some of the babies eating skills & their mama menus. I'm going to try to feed Soluna some more stuff. I'm looking forward to many more Colorful get-togethers.

We had our picnic at Roberts Park in Oakland. And I am definitely heading back with the family. There is a great kids playground AND pool.

No comments: