Sunday, September 21, 2008

oaktown mama: baby friendly in our hood

Since my little '96 Honda Civic has been sick for the past few weeks, I've been (for the second time since Soluna was born) totally bound by public transportation and how far my feet can take me carrying Soluna in her Ergo. In my little neighborhood, that has no name but is right where West Oakland meets North Oakland and Emeryville, I have been out to restaurants and, let me tell ya, this is a baby-friendly hood (well, at least some restaurants.) Families, move on in! I don't think being baby-friendly is just about having changing tables and play spaces. There are some folks that naturally welcome babies and others that completely avoid eye contact. Soluna would probably choose a friendly waiter over an available high-chair any day. Here are the top places in my area:

Bakesale Betty: (5098 Telegraph Ave, Oakland) Enjoy the yummy chicken sandwiches, ginger snap cookies and strawberry shortcake on the ironing board tables outside with your little one. Staff is always smiley, offering free cookies and talking to Soluna. The owner has a litle one that's a little older than Soluna so they are use to having little ones around.

Tumble and Tea: (4120 Telegraph Ave, Oakland) Obviously a good choice for babies as mentioned in a previous post. I wouldn't say their staff is friendly to Soluna or other babies for that matter, but it's a great place to eat and chill out while your baby socializes and is excited to see little ones her size. Wireless internet and changing tables available!

Cafe Dejena: (3939 MLK, Oakland) Free wireless internet, pretty good food and very baby-friendly staff. I like their spaghetti, although they warn you that it takes them about 30 minutes to cook. No changing table though.

Manzanita Restaurant: (4001 Linden Ave., Oakland) Macrobiotic vegan food as I mentioned in a previous post. It tastes yummy and is good for a breastfeeding mama. And I don't have to think twice about offering the food on my plate to Soluna. Baby-friendly staff.

Miyozen: (1147 40th Street, Oakland) Can't beat Miyozen. They have a kids play area, pretty good sushi and a staff that seems to be use to having babies around. One employee likes to show me pictures of his little girl who is a few months younger than Soluna. No changing table, but I used the futon in the play area. The waiters also know to place the hot stuff away from Soluna's interested hands.

No comments: