Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Soluna turned 1!! ... like 4 weeks ago


Nearly four weeks ago Soluna turned 1. She has been laughing more, cruising fearlessly and dancing to her own beat. We had a small family party, by our Mexipino definition of small (nearly 25 people packed into our small bungalow - immediate relatives and godparents only). In celebration and reflection of a year of motherhood and a year of life, I write.

I had no idea what I was getting into when my husband and I decided to take the "wait and see" approach to getting pregnant after being married for only 3 months. I had never held a newborn baby or changed a diaper. After giving birth on December 23, 2007 my life and mama perspective has changed as dramatically as Soluna has grown. As I hold my little one year old, some may already call her a toddler, in my arms and nurse, life feels so sweet even knowing that things will inevitebly get harder.

On her birthday we put a tray in front of her with different objects people brought to the party to represent a possible career she might enjoy in the future. In some Asian culture they believe babies already have a preference for what their future career or passion will be in life. There was dry-ice and test tubes from her Ninong Steven, crayons from her Ninos and Auntie Diana, a stethescope from her Lola, make-up from her Auntie Lisa, a scarf for dancing from her Abuela. We also included a financial calculator, flamenco shoes, a pen, a computer mouse, red paint. Soluna grabbed immediately for the paint. Folks wanted her to choose a second thing, but she really liked that paint. A future artist, maybe...

So many more memories to make with our little one. So many possibilities for the future.

More to come later. I've been busy with my two jobs!

1 comment:

choobers22 said...

maybe the paint was the most recognizable ;)