Wednesday, July 9, 2008

brown hippie mama confession #3

Benji says I better not be a tease and actually write some of these brown hippie mama confessions.

In case you missed the first two confessions:
#1: I actually like macrobiotic vegan food and I'd like to see my food and Soluna's food in its original form before eating.

#2: I shop at Berkeley Bowl to get organic produce!

So here goes #3: I've given up on regular deodorants.

There's something about the strong smells of regular deodorants that leads me to believe that all those chemicals aren't supposed to be applied to porous areas of your skin where they can seep into body. I just did a google search and there were a bunch of articles on this including this one. So maybe it's not just me.

But since I knew I would be breastfeeding, I phased out using regular deodorant during my pregnancy. I just didn't feel like rubbing those chemicals onto a part of my body so close to my breasts and close to where my baby eats. I've looked for more natural remedies or organic brands. None of these work. So, I try to shower and bathe more often, but I smell funky sometimes. And, I feel like I sweat more post-partum... *sigh* sacrifices of motherhood.

Now I've never found any articles about deodorant and its link to breast milk, so maybe I'm making this up... but it seems logical to me. If you know of any studies please send them my way.

5 comments:

Amianan Studies said...

i remember putting deodorant on after i gave birth *i felt stinky after the surgery and they wouldn't let me take a shower* amianan was not having it. i think the odor of the deodorant was too strong she didnt want to eat. i stopped wearing it. just had to go with plain old mama baby smell..;)

Mama Aya said...

yea... amianan knows what's up, that smell just ain't right.

Anonymous said...

do they have deodorant for babies? wait thats an oxymoron... anyway, maybe you should shop along in the baby section products. i stick to baby lotion and baby oil- since its stuff safe enough for babies- i use it myself assuming it doesnt have all the wack chemicals they give adults... just use "pulbos"!!!

im back... sort of...

guavajelly said...

I tried lots of natural deodorants and I always had some funkdified BO. Nothing really worked for long-term all day wear 'cause I guess I'm just naturally funky. When I was pregnant and breastfeeding though, I was more conscious of all the chemicals and smells in regular deodorants so I went back to Tom's and just washed under my arms more regularly. My friend swears by just using lemons. But she has B.O. so I wouldn't trust that completely.

Anonymous said...

I use milk of magnesia it works better for me than Tom's