Saturday, June 21, 2008

$upporting motherhood

On Tuesday, I will begin a new job after 6 months of maternity leave. I know that I am one of the lucky mamas of color in the United States. My City job paid decent disability insurance and I had saved up a few more weeks of sick, vacation and comp days to add to my maternity leave. After all was spent, my husband and I cut our expenses, tightened our belts and spent a few more weeks living off of his income. I was not ready to go back to work and I was still settling into my role as a Mama. Soluna had made us realize the value of raising our own children, especially at a young age. It was something we felt deeply in the months after she was born. And, I have learned to listen to my feelings. 6 weeks, 2 months, 3 months... so much more time is needed for mamas and babies to bond.

But financially we cannot sustain ourselves in this country on one income.

A few weeks ago I started applying for part-time jobs and got a great offer. Benji and I are moving forward having to continue to cut our expenses and change our lifestyle. We are taking about a 20% cut in our combined income. We have a large mortgage payment that use to eat more than 50% of our monthly income. But, raising Soluna ourselves is worth every penny and I will be as crafty and resourceful as possible to continue to make this work. I urge every mother who wants to stay home with their baby to think out of the box and MAKE it happen... although I know that is much easier said than done.

In other countries maternity/paternity leave is valued differently. This chart shows some of the options moms and dads have in other countries.

According to the momsrising.org:
* Having a baby is a leading cause of "poverty spells" in the U.S. -- when income dips below what's needed for basic living expenses.
* In the U.S., 49% of mothers cobble together paid leave following childbirth by using sick days, vacation days, disability leave, and maternity leave.
* 51% of new mothers lack any paid leave -- so some take unpaid leave, some quit, some even lose their jobs.
* The U.S is one of only 4 countries that doesn't offer paid leave to new mothers -- the others are Papua New Guinea, Swaziland, and Lesotho.
* Paid family leave has been shown to reduce infant mortality by as much as 20% (and the U.S. ranks a low 37th of all countries in infant mortality).

"Family values" in this country does not mean that our country values families. The norm is to prioritize profit and work over people and relationships. When did careers become life? And life/family become hobbies?

No comments: